You Are An Amazing Mom! Where's your cape?

Do you feel like you are an amazing mom?
Do you ever question your parenting? Yourself? I have struggled with thoughts of not being a good mom for many years, ever since the early days of motherhood nineteen years ago. I had worked with children for most of my life. Caring for them in their homes, in daycare facilities and from my home, and I was good at it. But when it came to my being a mother, I somehow felt I was falling short.
This week my husband and I met with a counsellor for my son (who was also present) about an issue we were having. And was really stressing me out. He was frank and very respectful and I actually enjoyed the visit. I came away with answers that I needed for my son, though they were things I already knew and did. But questioned whether or not I was doing them right.
Once, I had shared with him what was on my plate was like (and to me it just felt so full to over flowing), that he suddenly asked me. "Where's your cape?" I was stunned for a moment, wondering if he was just trying to make me feel bad. When he asked again. "Where's your cape? Did you leave it in the car or at home?" I sat there looking at him, then the tears began to flow as he said, "Mama, you are doing an amazing job! You must be a super mom." I could not hold back the tears as I really heard what he was trying to tell me. As I cried, he said, "It's been a while since you've heard that, right?" As he reached for the box of Kleenex and handed on to me. I wanted to bawl my eyes out. I was so thankful that someone else was seeing all that I was doing in our home and for our family. That someone else was acknowledging me and all that I'd done. To top it all off was giving me permission to spend some alone time. Some time way from the busyness of life that tries to crowd in on you and have expectations when you are just too tired to do them.
It was like the Lord was telling him to give me permission to not feel bad, that I was not involved at church just because they need someone. It was okay to spend time alone with the Father and gather my thoughts and strength. This counselor was also a father of four children said, "Jesus did it, why can't we. Jesus went to the mountain to be alone and pray. He slept in the boat while everyone around him was asking him if he didn't care." This brother in Christ, spoke encouragement to my heart and soul. And I was thankful. Thankful that the Lord, used this situation to speak to my heart that day.
I was finding joy in the craziness that is my life. In the ugly and the confusing things that happen in my home. I was finding joy in knowing that I was doing a good job. I might need to hear it again and again for years to come. And so might you. But remember dear warrior mom of Christ, you are Amazing! Hang in there, your super power comes from the Lord. Blessings!
Father, thank you that you give us the power to continue when life seem bleak and really tough. When our children are sick or someone is hurting. When problems arise that are out of our control, yet you are there and your word says that all things work together for good. Father, thank you for helping me and every mom be the best we can be where we are, with what we have. Like the story of the boy with the five loaves and two fish, Jesus blessed what he had and it fed thousands. Bless what we have Lord and help us right where we are in Jesus name. Amen
Wearing my cape....Art work by Kezziah Phillips
Comments
Post a Comment