Finding Joy in Prayer Pt. 1

  The phone rang and it was my oldest sister, she says that she'd spoken to one of my other sisters (there are six of us) and that we should do a three way call. I had spoken to her earlier in the week and shared with her that we needed to pray.   I clicked a button on WhatsApp and there we all were chatting in unison at the thought that we could come together despite the distance.  Even though I could not see their faces I knew that they were laughing and smiling at the fact that we could communicate in this way.  Technology is amazing, isn't it? 

We came together not to visit with each other, but we'd come together to pray and seek the Lord on behalf of our family and some decisions that needed to be made.  It was fantastic!  We had come together from three different countries (Canada, USA and the UK) representing our family in prayer, praying for direction and the Lord's will. 

For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst.  Matthew 18:20  

Despite the distance between us all, we had come together in that time and space, in his name and our prayer time in his presence was sweet.  Like a three fold cord is not quickly broken, Ecclesiastes 4:12  so it was with us.   My sisters and I had gathered for a common cause and our time together sent chills in my body, as our prayers became more intense and we cried out to the Lord for our family.  The excitement was thrilling to say the least.   I was truly thankful that the technology we have today could allow us to come together this way, however, technology was not needed in getting our prayers heard by our heavenly Father.  Call to me, his word says, and I will answer you... Jeremiah 33:3,  and we called.

There are times when we meet with others and can have a wonderful time of prayer but there are others when our prayer time, seems stilted, like it is not going any further than the four walls in the room.  As believers we are encouraged throughout the bible to pray, pray without ceasing said the Apostle Paul, watch our motives when we pray says James, and king David the Psalmist asked the Lord to search him and know his heart, to try him and know his thoughts and to see if there is any wicked way in him.  As sometimes there are things in our own lives that can hinder our prayers or spur them on.

I encourage you to get together with one or more ladies this week and have a time of prayer together or just take some time alone to pray.  Find yourself a prayer closet and meet with the Lord there.  Even Jesus went on the mountain to pray or he would steal away for some alone time with his father.  We are no different, we need to spend time alone with the father, too.

One day my daughter told me that a teacher said that prayers don't really get answered or it was only for special people.  I had to hug my daughter and remind her of the many things that God had answered in our own lives, and told her that we needed to pray for that woman.

How is your prayer life?  Are you praying alone or with others.  Pray.

Abba (Father), I come to you in prayer and thanksgiving for the time I was able to spend with my sisters this week in prayer.  I pray that others will be able to have a time like us to come together in prayer no matter what the distance or problem may be.  Father, I pray that you speak to our hearts, cleanse our thoughts and bring us ever closer to yourself in Jesus name.  May we find joy and peace as we gather together in the bond of love and in the power that only you can give.  Amen


Scriptures:  Psalm 139:23-24; Ecclesiastes 4:9-12;  I Thessalonians 5:17; James 4:3; Luke 5:16.




Drawing by my daughter, K. Phillips

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arrrgh! It's Morning again. Pt.2

Finding Joy in Prayer Pt.2