Finding Joy in Prayer Pt.2

  The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.  James 5:16

 Have you ever stopped to listen to someone praying?  Or marvelled at the prayers of someone written in a book   I know, I know we should be praying along with them, not listening.  But this week was an exciting week where prayer was a huge part of my life.   A friend and a group of her friends and believers were gathering for prayer and intercession, was happy to add me to the prayer list.  She shared some of her prayers with me, and I was blown away by the beauty and eloquence of each prayer she sent me.  Each pray seemed to draw me in deeper all the while showing me where I was lacking.

No, I was not spending my time comparing my own prayers to hers by no means, however, I just found rather that they drew me closer, and made the longing in my heart for more, that much clearer.  I could see her spiritual maturity which made me miss the times that we once shared with this lady, my sister in Christ. And missed her mentorship.  Her prayers seemed to be more than just mere words, they were filled with...power.  I realized that it was what I want in my own life.  Not just in my prayer life but whenever I speak or write that the words would pack a punch, not to harm but to build up.

The joy that came to me this week through prayer was in knowing that I was not alone in my prayer time.  For the knowledge that others were praying with me and for me, seeking the Lord on my behalf.  That I can call or text a friend and know that they are praying for me or my concerns.  Knowing that sometimes the church body is not just the local church, nor does it have to be (especially because of technology), it can expand beyond time zones and space; that our brothers and sisters in Christ who live far away, don't have to struggle alone.  The Lord can lead us to pray for a situation or we can span the miles and share and ask for prayer and know that many voices are being raised on your behalf or on the behalf of a loved one.   This too is when you learn that the church is more than four walls or some building.

Sometimes, we don't know how to pray or what to pray for, it is so wonderful that we can call on our family of believers near and far and in one voice call out in the name of Jesus, believing that he hears our cry.  We just need to humble ourselves and ask for help from others.  

One thing that my friend prayed this week was: God of all creation, we are so thankful that you have chosen us to be a part of your plan.  Father God, as individuals, we can ask for clarity as to what our assignment is, and pray that we will honour you in executing whatever we are called to do, by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Her words encouraged me as a reminder, that I was chosen by God to be part of his plan, and that I could ask for clarity as to what my assignment was for each day.  I know there have been many times that I have taken each day for granted, thinking only about myself or the things that I had to do around the house, appointments or the needs of my children.  But what I had failed to do was ask the Lord what his plans were for me or for clarity for the things (assignments) he had for me to do.  As I thought about the words of her prayer it made me ponder on what the Lord truly had for me for the day or even for the future, and how can he use me even when I do not feel like I am where he wants me to be. 

What assignments have you missed out on?  What do you plan on doing about it?  Let's change some of our habits.  How we view ourselves in the world and how God sees us.

Heavenly Father, 

Thank you that I can come to you in prayer, and I can bring my concerns to you.  Thank you that you have chosen me, and that you not only have a plan for my life but you have chosen me to do extraordinary things if I would only trust you.  Give me clarity for what you have for me to do today.  May I have ears to hear and eyes to see what your Holy Spirit is trying to show me and do it with a humble heart not in my own strength but in His. Teach me your way, Lord.  In Jesus name I pray.  Amen

Art work by Kezziah Phillips

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Joy in Prayer Pt. 1

Arrrgh! It's Morning again. Pt.2